Monday, April 03, 2006

Oxygen!!!


Well, I've decided to get my lazy butt in gear and lose some weight. I've taken up jogging. And at 6:30 in the morning! Am I crazy? Don't answer that!
As you all know I have three wonderful children who have managed to completely destroy my girlish figure in the past 5 years. I am officially "ticked" off when I look in the mirror....so here I go. I'm gonna exercise. I've put it off long enough.
I attempted bike riding last fall, but didn't make it a week. I bought the water bag thingy that you can wear like a backpack and sip water through the giant straw that stretches from the bag down to your mouth. (I think it's called a "Camelback") Anyway, obviously you have to have a master's degree to use those because all I managed to do was get my new workout clothes soaking wet. When I got home from my first bike ride I was dripping wet. Not from sweat, but from the 5 cups of undrinkable water that had not made it to my mouth. I tried riding with the straw in my mouth but, seeing as I'm not a camel, I couldn't swallow the constant flow of dispensing water fast enough. Have you ever known someone to drown while riding a bike? I think it might be possible folks! Does anyone know how to use these things?
If the whole "drowning" experience wasn't enough to scare me away from the horrid world of "staying fit", the altitude was. The words "high altitude" never meant much to me as I was running barefoot in the woods of East Texas growing up. Now that I am a Colorado resident they mean more than you know! This little southern girl is gasping for air on a regular basis! I can barely walk down the street without stopping to take a breather. It's rough! I know, I know, I've been here for close to three years now, but it still takes a toll on me when I attempt to do anything strenuous.
I don't know how long this "jogging" thing will last, but I'm hoping I can keep it up for at least a few months. My plan is to jog, MWF and do weights T, TH,Sat. We'll see how it goes! I do however have a new toy that I think will help me in my motivation. Can you say MP3? Oh, yeah, so cool! I loaded that baby up last night with "jogging" music. It helps so much with the boredom of staring at the pavement.
Well, wish me luck! Here goes nothin'!

6 comments:

Windy Smith said...

More power to YOU!! I have thought long and hard and hard and long about exercising but the longer I think the worse it sounds and the harder I think the more my head hurts! So needless to say I haven't exercised yet but I have been eating better and have lost about 35 pounds. I have a goal to be a certain weight by June because we are going to Disney World and I don't want to scare Shamu away from the neighboring Sea World!!

Caci said...

Girl I know EXACTLY how you feel about being ticked off when you look in the mirror. I have tried exercise programs before too...but none as hilarious as your camelback experience...I was crying I was laughing so hard. I am glad you still have a great sense of humor. Our family has been riding bikes together but more for fun than exercise....however my butt feels the pain and reminds me that I have no idea how I endured labor with 3 kids and can't make it around the block without gasping for air!

Heather said...

I'm splitting my sides laughing!! Does typing really fast when you blog count for exercise? Cuz' if it does, than baby I'll get fit!

Michelle said...

Girl, do I know all about the pains of looking in the mirror and not only disliking what I see, but being out and out mad about it. Stay with it, I got really skinny by going to the gym everyday at 5:00am after I had Jonah. Now I just need to do it again!! If only I had the time...

Michael said...

You really should've gone to A&M there's so many Aggie jokes in here...

How do you drown an Aggie? Put him on a bike.

And I'm sure my creative family could come up with something about a camel on an Aggie's back.

Caci said...

what's up girl? Are you tired of blogging or do you just not like what we are posting? I haven't seen any comments from you in a while.....I MISS YOU! come back........